Friday, December 9, 2011

Sheik, rattle and roll!

You wouldn't believe it if I told you. We celebrated Witek Weclawek's 58th birthday tonight and it was a rip roarer! First he came dressed like a normal guy. Brought me a beautiful white rose and a lovely book about Gliwice as a farewell gift (yes, another one). Then he told me some cocka Maimie story about three guys he had hired to come and do a song for me but one of them has a wife who is delivering a baby at this very moment. Oh, too bad, as it takes all three of them to deliver their song. But, as luck would have it they recorded a video for me and we all gather around the laptop to see the video. Three naked guys covering their privates with both hands with S T O written across the three naked chests, then they would turn around and L A T written on their three naked backs, (with there backsides exposed)which, I am told means "100 years" and is a traditional birthday greeting. They did their thing about three times to the hoots and hollers of everyone present.

Well, that little detail out of the way we sat down to a long table filled with beautiful and delicious salads and other things, some of which were just too unusual for me to try comfortably. The shot glasses were filled with vodka and shouts of "naz- drowie" (nas- trovia)rang out regularly. I summoned my courage to give a toast to the birthday boy and Aneta translated (what she may have said I have no idea!)before we downed our vodka shots in a single gulp. I noticed that everyone who was drinking vodka was chasing it with apple juice or orange juice. Good idea.

After we drank and toasted and ate our fill Witek suddenly left the table and snagged Aneta to go with him. When he returned he was dressed as an Arab Sheik and was ready to get a party on! First he had to be photographed with his "harem"' which included every female in the room, including his daughter and granddaughter, his cousin, Gretchen, his friend's wife , Ania, his own wife, Alycja, his daughter-in-law to be, Isabella, Aneta's mother-in-law, Marion and, of course, ME, now being called his American wife. Then he put on the serious music and the dancing began. Shades of Aneta's wedding all over again. I am now three years older and one more back surgery into my old age. But when the Sheik wants to dance memos of the harem dare not refuse. So, he in his turban and long striped robe and me in my gum soled shoes danced until I could barely draw a breath. I was grateful for the gum soled shoes when he decided to dip me backward nearly to the floor. Fortunately my gum soles gripped and my partner's arms held out until I managed to get myself into an upright position again. At some point I staggered to the table again and spooned a bowl of goulash I to my mouth with a shaky hand. Near ten o'clock Aneta saved me by suggesting we head for home because the baby was tired. That baby is something else. What a party girl! She danced very dance, holding hands with everyone she could manage into a circle and she jumped up and down and wiggled with the best of them. She is sure her grandpa's granddaughter. (Well, truth to tell, his daughter cuts a mean rug herself!)

I felt very cherished at this gathering. Witek(father)'s cousin Grezhina (Gretchen) broughtbme a going away gift of a lovely large blue Christmas ornament with it's own table hanger stand. I met her at the wedding and saw her again the first weekend I arrivedin Poland
And haven't seen her since. These are the most generous and giving people in the world, I
think. Anyway, the evening was lovely, the company superb, and the party wonderfully entertaining. The food was amazing - really delicious. The restaurant name was
Zeppelin for the dirigible by the same name that landed at the Gliwice Airport one time and stayed for a couple of hours. Apparently it was a big deal but somehow the historic significance escaped me in the telling of the story.

Well, one final note about Zeppelin; the bathroom was great but the toilet paper was horrible! Naomi, you think the stuff we experienced with nibs on it before was bad - trust me kid, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

So we made it home in one piece (Aneta's Witek doesn't drink)and put an exhausted Ania to bed when we got a phone call saying I left my camera at the restaurant. Fortunately Witek's mom and dad were still there and they brought it back for me.

Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment